Sunday, September 13, 2009

Pre-Concert Musings + Lunch


Do you remember when you heard a song from your favorite band for the first time? That feeling like a first date, where you just couldn't wait to hear the song again? I remember the first music video I ever saw (we didn't spend much time in front of the tv as a kid) was Michael Jackson's "Remember the Time." I can remember when I heard my first Dave Matthews Band song. Under the Table and Dreaming is still my favorite DMB album. I can remember seeing Kings of Leon live for the first time at the Tabernacle and having the distinct memory of me rocking out to their music when I'm 50.

For me, music fuels memories, feelings, high school essays, visions of my future. I can't live or breathe without music. I was reflecting on how amazing it is to see some incredible people and groups play live in concert as I was preparing lunch the afternoon of the Staind/Creed concert. I was boiling water when "It's Been a While" came on the radio, taking me back to the a moment on a high school mission trip in Nicaragua. We were all gathered at the hotel restaurant table when that song came on the radio and a group of us starting singing along. By the time I'd finished preparing my simple lunch, I'd remembered laying on my bedroom floor listening to Creed on table during 9th grade, pondering the mysteries of adolescence. I'd gone back through many memories, and how each moment set to music shaped the woman I am today. We all have a soundtrack. What's on yours?

Pre-Concert Shells & Parm + Aidel's Chicken and Apple Sausage
* Tinkanya shells, cooked. Top with extra virgen olive oil and Parmesan cheese.
* Cut a sausage into pieces, and brown over medium heat while the shells are cooking. Enjoy on the side of the pasta, on mixed with it.

No comments: