Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Turkey Chili with Black-Eyed Peas

When my phone rang at work at 0705, I will admit feeling annoyed. Who calls someone just after they've hit the floor? The man on the other end of the phone was one of the pharmacists at the hospital calling to see if I knew how my family was. I was confused. (And grumpy.) He then told me about the Haiti earthquake. I was immediately into an (awake) patient's room flipping to CNN with my personal cell phone in hand. Thankfully, my family on the other half of the island of Hispanola was just a bit shaken up. Nothing serious happened.

About a month later, Chile's first major earthquake struck. Again, I missed the news story. My mother called me early (for her) that morning to let me know she talked to my cousin, Miguel, who lives in Santiago. In true Taveras form, he told his dramatic tale of running down 13 flights of stairs feeling like he was running through a washing machine. Everything in Santiago was pretty much in tact, as the earthquake struck much farther south. Miguel's biggest lament was that while not even a picture fell off the wall, he lost all of his booze.

After these two natural disasters, it seemed like each country- and my family- would have a reprieve. So, when my mother jumped on an airplane and headed down to Chile to see Miguel, I was not worried. My mother had planned the trip in January, and we both agreed that a major earthquake could not possibly strike so close to the date of the first. Aftershocks? No big deal. She'd be fine. For sure.

... And then, on my way home from work on Thursday, a call beeped through the conversation I was having with a friend. I raced to answer my Mom's friend (and other emergency contact), Rexanne. Rexanne told me my mother was okay, but she and Miguel ran down 13 flights of stairs in their pajamas that morning in the midst of a 7.2 earthquake (aftershock). While everyone is still okay, I am hoping that nothing shakes up Paris, the last foreign country home where I have family.

So here's to Chile, home to a city that has moved 10 feet on the map (http://news.xinhuanet.com/english2010/world/2010-03/09/c_13203099.htm) and to some amazing builders. (There is still nothing wrong with the building Miguel lives in.)

Turkey Chili with Black-Eyed Peas
(from Shape magazine, February 2009)
Serves 4
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours, 20 minutes


2 tablespoons olive oil
1 pound lean ground turkey breast
1 large carrot, diced
1/2 large onion, diced
2 sticks celery, diced
2 jalepenos, diced
2 cloves garlic, sliced
1 red pepper, seeded and diced
1 yellow pepper, seeded and diced
2 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
2 cups canned black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
1 28-ounce can no-salt-added crushed tomatoes
1 tablespoon tomato puree
2 1/2 cups water
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Red pepper sauce (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. In a large ovenproof pan, heath half the oil over medium heat, Add turkey and brown for 5 minutes. Remove turkey and add remaining oil; saute carrot, onion, celery, jalapenos, garlic, peppers, chili powder, fennel, and cumin for 10 minutes or until vegetables are soft and begin to lose their color.

Return meat to pan and stir in black-eyed peas; add crushed tomatoes, tomato puree, and water. Bring to a simmer and place in the oven for 2 hours. Season with salt, pepper, and red pepper sauce to taste.

No comments: