Sunday, July 17, 2011

Sorbetsicles

When I received my ice cream maker as a gift, nobody took it seriously. They thought I'd use it a few times and then it would grow a warren of dust bunnies in my kitchen cabinet. I've been on quite the ice cream/sorbet making kick this summer. Maybe I'm wrong, but didn't Atlanta feel unseasonably hot in May and June? Its still so hot. Nothing is better than cooling off with sorbet- its so rejuvenating!

What have I been making? There have been so many deals on strawberries, I feel like I will be strawberried out by the end of the summer. I started with raspberry sorbet that I was supposed to take to my BFF's BBQ... but then forgot it... and ate it. I've made two batches of strawberry sorbet, and one strawberry ice cream (which got rave reviews from the wedding shower I brought it to). I took chocolate ice cream to a housewarming as a present for the host. With a pint of strawberries remaining in my fridge post shower ice creamage, I thought I would attempt something different. I made soft sorbet with a shot of coconut rum (for an added "tropical feel") and froze it in popsicle molds. They are quite tasty. I think next time I will add a dash of something tropical and fruity that has a stronger flavor- the coconut taste seemed so much stronger pre-freeze. My next frozen project (we currently have no freezer space) will be that lemon-basil sorbet I've been dreaming of since our honeymoon and margarita popsicles. :)

If you aren't feeling adventurous in your kitchen, check out Edy's or Trader Joe's frozen fruit pops. They are incredibly good, no work required.

No comments: