Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Periodicals of Note

I was looking for an old posted recipe, and realized I haven't posted a recipe in quite a while!  Honestly, I was hoping to post a recipe from Gluten-Free Living magazine.  I've been so busy I haven't done any of them.  First it was because the issues was about grilling (we're limited on that on with the condo), then it was cupcakes, this month's I haven't finished reading.  Here is the bottom line.  When I received the magazine subscription as a gift, I was not sure that I would fin much enjoyment in it.  This thin mag is chock full of goodness; it has everything from the latest research studies summed up to product reviews to recipes.  Yes, it is quite pricey.  That'll give y'all something to think about. 

I have cooked a few Real Simple recipes.  My husband and I have had a subscription for a while now.  He even gave it to his mother and sister as Christmas gifts last year.  This one was deemed by my husband as a "you can make this one again!"  I love this recipe for apple season!  I served it over rice, but I bet it would have been stellar over some GF noodle-age.  This week I have my first exam in graduate school, so I will be working the slow cooker.  Bon appetite!

Real Simple Recipe Link

Chicken Sautéed With Apples

Chicken Sauteed With Apples
Serves 4| Hands-On Time: 25m | Total Time: 25m

Ingredients

Directions

  1. Place each chicken-breast half between 2 sheets of wax paper and pound with a meat mallet until about ¾ inch thick.
  2. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Sauté the chicken until golden, about 3 minutes per side.
  3. Add the apple slices, apple juice, onion, garlic, thyme, ½ teaspoon salt, and ⅛ teaspoon pepper. Simmer, covered, 6 to 8 minutes or until chicken is fork-tender.
  4. Remove the chicken, apple slices, and onion to a serving platter and keep warm.
  5. Bring the sauce to a boil for about 5 minutes or until slightly reduced. Whisk in the mustard. Pour the sauce over the chicken.
By Jane Kirby and Kay Chun,  October 2002


No comments: