Monday, February 2, 2009

25 Things About Me & Food

This is what all the cool kids are doing on Facebook these days, so I thought I'd post the Gluten Verboten version.

1) I eat gluten-free, because I have Celiac Disease. If I could change my genetics and be "normal," I wouldn't. I love how I live.

2) I get hiccups in sets of 1. If I get more than one, I am on the verge of death. A spoonful of sugar (raw or white) usually makes them go away, but that's the only thing that works.

3) I cry at that Publix commercial around Valentine's Day EVERY SINGLE TIME.

4) I love trying new restaurants. I used to have huge anxiety about it. Now, it's fun and challenging. If I'm not sure about the GF possibilities, I call or email ahead of time. When I go out with my boyfriend or best friends, I know I have some serious advocates for my food needs. It makes me feel more confident in my adventures.

5) I am going to visit my family in the Dominican Republic this month for my Mom's 60th birthday celebration. I am petrified about eating. My Dominican family really doesn't get GF, and the last time I was with them I was S-I-C-K.

6) I don't like mustard. I think it relates to a bad experience in nursing school (long story). I am open to trying mustard in things. Maybe mustard and I can make peace.

7) I think the only place nuts and chocolate have a place in the world together is in flourless cake. I am morally opposed to crunchy in the sweet.

8) I love reading and writing. I feel like I lost some of my writing gift while writing medical papers in nursing school. I would like to write a book someday. Maybe it will be about food.

9) Enjoying chocolate is a genetic trait passed on from my father's German-Czech side. If you are a member of my family who doesn't enjoy chocolate, there must be something fundamentally wrong with you.

10) I have 2 black belts. I did martial arts for 15 years before deciding I was burnt out and to try dance, since I've wanted to do that for 15 years. Now I do little bits of various physical activities, and understand how good, wholesome food plays a huge part in me being able to be active.

11) I like making things from scratch. My grandmothers and great grandmothers didn't used to canned or frozen or pre-made food to cook, so they serve as my cooking inspirations. My maternal grandmother also cooked with Julia Child, so I have a lot to live up to as a cook.

12) When I grow up, I want to be a professional wine taster. I love red wine. White wine. Wine.

13) I believe whoever cooks should be disallowed from doing the dishes... unless the cook has all the energy.

14) I don't have any true "comfort foods." I choose the food that fits with how I feel the best for me at that given moment. Listening to what your body needs is powerful, and comforting.

15) I used to despise eggs. Hate eggs. I avoided eggs like the plague. Now I eat one almost every day. Eggs are versatile and protein-ful, scrambled, on rice, as omelets, in stir fries. Incredible. Edible. Egg.

16) I have an incredibly small kitchen. I mean really small. I still pretend I have a cooking show on my 1'x1' counter top, though.

17) There are tons of Celiacs in this nation, but I just took care of my first Celiac patient last week. (It's been 3 years since I've started my job.) I was really excited, because she and her family were amazing, and I got to teach the kitchen a little about what makes things truly GF.

18) I've had some life experiences that have taught me how a strong and capable woman. I am pretty darn independent, and I have trouble for asking for help when I need it. Sometimes that leads to foraging for food in my fridge when I'm too tired to cook after a long crappy day (or waffles for dinner).

19) Last week Nick and I went to MF Sushi to celebrate our 1 year anniversary together. (It's where we had our first date.) I got 1st and 2nd degree burns from spilling tea on my lap, and I'm really hoping I won't have scars.

20) My Dad raises African Cichlids, so I have a love for fish and aquariums. But I really like eating fish.

21) I moved to Atlanta from Boston in the 3rd grade. (My home teams for football are the Patriots and the Falcons.) We used to have a garden at our house in Marshfield. I fantasize about moving back to New England, but it soooooooooo cold!

22) I am a big scrapbooker. I love pictures, and the way you can artistically preserve memories. I like blogging because it puts words and food to what is happening in my life. Huge life experiences and rites of passage occur over food. For me, it's very memorable.

23) I love animals. I didn't become a vet because seeing animals suffer breaks my heart. People make choices. Animals aren't always allowed to make choices, and suffer because of people. If I had to kill my own protein sources, I'd starve.

24) I hate wasting things. I am especially bothered by wasteful people. I recycle everything I can. I don't throw perfectly usable/wearable clothes or items- I'll pass them on instead. In Atlanta, you can recycle plastic bags and styrofoam at Kroger and Publix supermarkets. I recycle at home and/or at the farmer's market.

25) I am not a planner. If I plan something, it's because it's for someone who plans or because something is super important to me. Often when I plan things, the plans fall through, and my distaste for planning deepens. The exception to this rule is planning meals for the week. I've gotten quite used to it, and really enjoy it.

No comments: