Tuesday, June 23, 2009

56 Hours and Counting

Where have I been?

I started my 120 clinical hours for my post-baccalaureate certification in wound, ostomy, and continence care nursing (CWOCN). Although some people think my job as the "poop, pee, and pus" nurse is revolting, I quite like it. It will have taken me a year from start to finish to complete the program at Emory. Right now I am in the last "semester" (this program is self-study). I have a few projects to complete along with my clinical hours. This translates into my life as a 56-hour nursing work week. Mondays and Thursdays I do 8 hour shifts for clinical, and Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Friday I do 12 hour shifts for work.

Some of you reading this might scoff at a 56 hour work week. Nursing work is a bit different from other jobs. Imagine doing your office job while walking non-stop around the office. Do that for 56 hours. Don't forget that you'll also have to slide and roll your physically impacitated co-workers aross flat surfaces, keep a caring attitude, continually problem-solve, and remain focused while doing multiple tastks at once.

All the work I've been doing has left me quite exhausted. I sympathize with all the other over-worked people of the world. The "summer cold" has been circulating around a few of the docs and PA's I work with. Lack of sleep and stress impairs any immune system, so I've been trying my best to stay healthy. For breakfast I've been getting my fruit/vitamin C intake by drinking a fruit smoothie. I've made sure my protein intake is adequate, and I have been including garlic in my meals to promote my overall well-being.
Morning Smoothies
Add into the blender:
* One banana
* 1 small handful, or about 1/2 cup forzen fruit- pick your inidivual favorites in bags at the grocery store, a bag of mixed frozen fruit, or make your own mix of fresh fruits thrown into a freezer bag
* Protein powder (I chose rice bran powder)
* Fruit juice- enough to cover about 1/4 of the blender mix or about 1/2 cup

Dill & Garlic Tilapia Sandwich
* 1-2 pieces toasted GF bread
* GF mayonaise
* Dill
* 1 tilapia filet (I bought a bag at the grocery store and I've been defrosting 1 filet at a time.)
* 1-2 cloves of garlic, to taste minced or squished through a press
* EVOO

1. Season tilapia with salt and pepper.

2. Warm EVOO in a pan on medium-high heat. Meanwhile, start toasting the bread.

3. Start sauteeing the tilapia. When the bottom appears opaque, flip the fish (about 3 minutes). Add springs of dill to lightly cover the fish. Cook for a few more minutes, until the fish easily flakes with a fork.

4. While the fish is cooking, spread mayo on the bread. Add the garlic, evenly coating the bread.

5. Add the fish to the slice of bread and enjoy! Serve with a salad, possibly fresh out of the bag.

No comments: