Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Goat's Milk Ice Cream

The weekend before my aunt moved away from Atlanta and back home to Chicago, my husband and I hosted her, my father, and my father's wife for dinner. My aunt lived in Atlanta for 30 years, and hosted all the memorable Koranda family events at her gorgeous home. Up until last summer, I thought our 1500 square foot condo was too small for dinner parties and events.  My French cousins, after taking the 1 cent tour of our home, commented that it was the same size as their house in Paris. (Oh.)  My cousins' comments (plus out new antique pub table) gave me the moral boot to host a dinner Aunt Lee style. 

We started with socializing in the living room with olives, cheese and crackers, and "the family bottle" of prosecco. (I have never learned the name of it. Its just "that green bottle" from Whole Foods.)  For dinner, Nick roasted a chicken and backed potatoes, I prepared cranberry sauce and a lovely salad.  Since we are all chocolics in my family, I figured dessert must involve the sacred flavor. Aunt Lee has been known to down a pint of Ben & Jerry's about every 8 weeks or so, while maintaining her model physique, so decided I would make a chocolate ice cream.  Knowing that my father and I have lactose-intolerance, I investigated goat's milk ice cream. 

After perusing a few recipes, I settled on Former Chef's chocolate goat's milk ice cream recipe. What grabbed me was his discussion of the aftertaste of goat's milk. He tailored his recipe to avoiding this pungent flavor. While there is a very mild aftertaste, this is the first time I have actually enjoyed it. Though it has some cow's milk in it, there was not enough milk to really bother my lactose intolerance. Go check out Former Chef's blog and tell me what other recipes of his you enjoy.

No comments: