Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Pre-Italy Planning

We're going to Italy. I've been asked dozens of times "What are you going to eat? Aren't you worried?" Well, no. Italians eat more than just pasta- there are gluten-less menu selections in regular Italian diets, and Europe has a reputation for being very proactive in testing kids for celiac disease and making sure their needs are met. In Italy, children are routinely screened for CD and the government provides prescriptions for GF food that is purchased at local pharmacies (and subsidized by the government).  Now, if I was going to China, I would be nervous. Between my soy allergy and the language barrier I assume I would feel close to death after every meal.

Thanks to blogger activity, I have a great outlook on eating Italian deliciousness. Here are a few things I have enjoyed reading.

Gluten Free Girl & the Chef
Her statement "No apologies, no shrugging of shoulders, no endless stories of how my intestines work if I ingest 1/4 teaspoon of gluten" had me reading to jump on a plane in that very moment. It means not having to explain yourself, not feeling like you are an inconvenience.

Celiac Chicks
Though this is from 2007, it did help me confidence. This blogger has more than just a gluten issue.

Legal Nomads
This provides a few good resources at the end, including a card to print out and bring to restaurants. She also echos what I read from the two ladies above.

Celiac Travel
The GF dining card in Italian.

Huffington Post
This is a short little article, but a good one.

I aspire to eat gelatto or canolli every day. I'll let y'all know how it goes when I get back! (We still have a little time before we go.)

No comments: