Thursday, May 1, 2008

Spur of the Moment Stir Fry

Sarah and I went car shopping today. She wants a hybrid, and I'm thinking of getting trading in my gas-enemy, bad-karma SUV. (I still love it, but, well, uh, it's complicated...) I fell in love with a Fit.

When we came home, I did a few small chores, caught up on last week's *new* episode of Grey's Anatomy (my only true tv addiction), and then realized:
a) I have one more day of work left
b) I have no food for dinner tonight or lunch tomorrow
c) I also need to make sure my laundry is done so I have clean scrubs and sheets

Obviously one of those was an immediate priority.

Here is what I threw together (literally) with the musical accompaniment of Van Morrison. I thought it was purdy good for a shot in the dark.


Spur of the Moment Stir Fry * About a pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized morsels
* 1 broccoli flower, cut into smaller pieces (yes, including the tree trunks AND leaves)
* 1 green pepper, deseeded and cut into think 1" pieces
* 1/2 shallot
* 3-4 cloves garlic
* 1 teaspoon (+/-) red pepper flakes
* White pepper
* Black pepper
* Tumeric
* Dry roasted peanuts (cashews probably would have been better, but it's what my pantry had)
* 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
* 1 lime
* A nice warm pot of cooked rice
* Musical muse of choice

1. Turn on music of choice.
2. Wash the chicken, and pat dry with a paper towel. Season generously with white pepper.
3. Head 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet or wok over medium-high heat.
4. Add the chicken and stir-fry until the chicken is cooked through. Remove the chicken from the pan and wipe the pan out with a paper towel.
5. Heat another tablespoon of oil over medium heat. Add the onions, pepper, broccoli, garlic, and shallots to the pan. Start moving them around.
6. After about 3 minutes, add the teaspoon (or so) or red pepper flakes, sprinkle over some black pepper, the lime juice, and 2 large pinches of tumeric. Stir in well. Add peanuts proportionally to taste- I had somewhere between 1/8 and 1/4 of a cup. (I think. This is spur of the moment, remember?)
7. Taste. Adjust spicing as necessary, then serve over hot rice.

* note: dancing like nobody is watching might help make this recipe better.

No comments: