Thursday, September 18, 2008

Pesto Chicken

I love the restaurant The Real Chow Baby, and their G-F pesto-peanut sauce. I haven't been to Chow Baby in *confession* almost a year. There is a strange curse with whoever I go with- I don't see the people I eat with (except for Melissa and Jamie, two of my best friends) afterward, as evidenced by:

1. Post my car accident, in May 2007, I went with Melissa and Crystal. Crystal and I didn't hang
out until the end of August, 2008.
2. Melissa, Derek, Lawyer Boy, and I went on a double date. Lawyer Boy and I stopped seeing
each other soon after (after just a few weeks), and Melissa just broke up with Derek a few
months ago.
3. Jamie, The Professor, Climber Man, and I went on a double date. A few weeks later, Jamie
dumped The Professor, and Climber Man and I split up. (Both were short-lived relationships.)

Naturally, I can't take Nick there. Well, maybe I will at some point, since I think we could break the curse. My pesto cravings would not subside last week, so I took to desperate measures and visited the Farmer's Market. Here is my pesto, minus the Chow Baby's peanut. I put it over chicken, mixed it with tomato sauce over pasta, ate it out of the container, and thought about dipping bread into it. Tell me what you do with yours.

Liv's Emergency Pesto
2 cups fresh basil leaves
3 cloves garlic
1 cup parsley
2/3 cup pine nuts
Extra Virgin olive oil, +/- 1 cup

Separate your ingredients into two batches. Put one half in the blender at a time until a paste-like substance is created. I used enough olive oil to barely cover the blades of the blender. If you like your pesto thick, I highly recommend titrating your oil.

Store it in an easily accessible container- this pesto is so good, you'll think about eating it as a midnight snack. You can also freeze it for future emergencies!

No comments: