Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Thursdays with Erin and Jack


One of my good friends, Erin, had a baby a month ago. The first week I got to visit the new family in the hospital- it is adjoined to the rehab hospital Erin and I work in. I've never thought a new baby looks like Mom or Dad, but Jack looks just like Erin's husband to me.

Since Erin has been at home, I don't see her when I'm at work. Weekly visits have been good for the more-or-less monotonous breast-feeding schedule Erin and Jack are on, and it keeps us in touch. Seeing little Jack over the first month of life is ah-mazing. He changes week to week. He's grown so much, and I have the notion that his eyes might turn green.

Last Thursday, another fellow co-worker (Jamie, pictured with Jack to the right) and I went over to see Erin and Jack, and brought along lunch fixings. I had settled in my mind on pan-fried chicken and Greek salad. In Publix, Jamie thought guac and chips would be good. (I personally thought the guac was delicious over the chicken.) The Greek Salad is a quick, simple recipe one of my non-cooking friends made up for a pot-luck I hosted eons ago. It is so good, it doesn't even need dressing!


Melissa's Simple Greek Salad * Hearts of romaine, cut into preferred bite size (you can buy them in the bag at the store)
* 1 small or medium-sized onion, chopped (I used a sweet vidalia)
* 1 tomato or 3 Roma tomatoes, chopped
* 1 can of banana peppers, chopped (optional)
* Sheep's milk cheese (you want the kind that crumbles and is in it's juices)

Combine the veggies in a large salad bowl. When you open the container of sheep cheese, drizzle some some of the juice over salad. Add the sheep cheese in crumbles. Serve and enjoy!

No comments: