Sunday, October 26, 2008

Agave with the Monday Night Dinner Club


Monday nights have gotten much more tasty! Friday is a leftover night, Saturday a day you might do a "big cook" or go our for a meal, Sunday is a brunch or football food day. Then comes Monday. Back to the daily grind. The refrigerator is empty. Even the leftovers are over.

The recipe to perking up your dreary Monday? Meet up with friends at a new restaurant. Sung, one of my boyfriend's friends started it. Our first restaurant was Agave, a restaurant in Cabbage Town, picked by no other than Sung (aka the biggest critic of all). I'd been wanting to try Agave for years- I used to frequent Carol Street Cafe in the early stages of a relationship and of exploring G-F. As we'd leave with the sun tucking itself in for the night, I would eye the glowing sign of Agave, wondering what cuisine lay in wait for discovery.

I ran ducked into Agave with Nick at 7:30pm, half dressed for the crisp fall weather. I warmed up with our friends at a table set out for the 13 of us in the larger of the two rooms. The southwestern decor and warm atmosphere kept us focused on the expansive menu. Half of our table ordered the fried chicken and loved it. I debated between the slow cooked short ribs and the red pepper salmon fillet. The waitress' confidence in the salmon's G-F integrity persuaded me to choose fish.

Nick and I started with the tomato, avocado, and basil salad, topped with a citrus vinaigrette. The salad was a solid, simple start. My salmon was served without the decorative sauce my neighbor had on her plate, but did not lack presentation or flavor. The red pepper brought the flavor of the salmon to life. My vegetables rounded out the meal. The only thing lacking was a G-F desert on a dessert sampler platter shared by the table.

I would give this restaurant an A+ for G-F knowledge and care, and an 8 out of 10 for my overall rating. I would definitely go back to try another dish.

2 comments:

LSteenblik said...

I so wish I was coming with you guys.
I'll just live vicariously through your posts and Sung's stories for now.

:)

Livalicious said...

Come home! Then we can go to the Aquarium before dinner. ;)