Monday, August 9, 2010

Cost of Living GF

I think we all know living GF is pricey. I make the generalization often when talking about grocery shopping that everything in my cart is five dollars. While I am able to get my groceries between the "normal" grocery store and Whole Foods, not everyone is so lucky. Buying GF items at the "normal" grocery store may mean higher prices, or less choice. Purchasing groceries online is not wildly convenient, either. For some GF-ers, that may be the only way to sample discover products that are either "special order" or found only in a health food store.

For anyone who has every wondered, here is a short run-down price comparison of commonly purchased food items. Just think: if you have multiple allergies/sensitivities in your household, there may be more items that I have not listed. For instance, I do not eat soy, so items like mayo, peanut butter, salad dressings, etc. are an additional cost for me. Though limited, many mainstream companies, like General Mills and Betty Crocker are now coming out with certifiably GF items at a more reasonable cost. Outside of food, I also look at my hair products, eye make up, and lotions to ensure I do not come in contact with any gluten or soy.


The Gluten Free Cost of Living

Item Gluten Gluten-free
Bread $1.39 $5.38
Hamburger buns $3.85 $5.99
Choc Chip Cookies $2.43/pack $4.40/9 cookies
Spaghetti $1.75 $3.69
Brownie Mix $2.95 $5.99
Flour $0.72 $7.95
Fzn Personal Pizza $5.65 $8.00
Crackers 4.4oz box $2.47 $4.50
Can of Soup $1.09 $2.99
Cart Total: $22.30 $48.89

The price of bread was taken off of the national price of living guide. The other gluten-containing prices came from NetGrocer.com. All of the gluten-free prices came from an average when searched for GF foods via Google Shopping.

No comments: