Saturday, August 7, 2010

Sage Woodfire Grill

My personal music series started with Imogen Heap, moved into the hard-edged haze of 311, cleaned up for the last tour of Phantom of the Opera, mellowed out for Dave (Matthews Band), and came to a fabulous finale with Sugarland. I realize my music tastes are all over the map. I don't think anyone should limit themselves to one venue of expression.

Sugarland, back at home in Atlanta, played at the Verizon Wireless Amphitheater in Alpharetta. Verizon is a little different than the other concert venues in the city. For one, it's not in the sketchy part of town like the amphitheater formally known as Lakewood. (That place changes names more often than Cher changes wigs.) It's got great food, clean bathrooms, and an absolutely crisp, clear sound system. Although we were sitting by the trees on the lawn, it sounded as if we were at the edge of the stage.
Since Verizon is outside the city, I had to do a little searching to find a restaurant. My boyfriend and my two friends that came voted on my top 3. We were all coming from work (Thursday concert), so were ready to sacrifice the opening band for a classy meal at Sage. It wasn't until I looked up directions that I realized the following night I was meeting
another group of girlfriends at the Sage in Perimeter (the sister store).
My back to back Sage experiences were great. While the Perimeter location is bigger, both boast a modern tavern feel with a woodfire grill. Both nights the service was great, but Andrew, our waiter at Perimeter was informative, helpful, and there at all the right moments to make sure we felt spoiled. Thursday night we warmed up our taste buds with the rosemary shrimp skewers. They were incredible. For dinner on Thursday I ate the huge portion of goat stuffed chicken (wonderful), and sampled the NY Strip on Friday (perfect). The portions are substantially sized. When you go with your friends (because you should), order a bottle of wine. Or two.

No comments: