Tuesday, August 19, 2008

What's Cooking, Post Vacation

I was just in Connecticut for a wedding, where I had the best time with my boyfriend. There are a few things that must be eaten while in New England:
1. Mussels
2. Lobster (pronounced in Boston, but not in CT, as "lobstuh")
3. Clams
4. Any other fresh seafood possible.

I conquered 1 and 2 on the list.

I thankfully had the sense to ask for the day off today to catch up on life and avoid going back to my stressful job. That involved buying a grill and grill accessories, getting new baskets to organize my kitchen, and a trip to my favorite farmer's market for food.

With the advent of football season, and my hopes that the 95 degree weather in Atlanta will cool off, I decided on chili. Only, I was too lazy to go to Whole Foods for beans, so I settled on Rachael Ray's turkey and corn chili. Then, I decided while I was at it, I should make some meatballs using a new recipe, so I could freeze them.

One of my friends dropped by with her pooch for a sampling of the yummies. Check out the recipes and pics below.


Turkey Corn Chili
Rachael Ray 10/15/07
http://www.rachaelray.com/recipe.php?recipe_id=862&r=862,477,1087,45,595,716
Serves 4

1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
1 medium onion, chopped
1 large bell pepper, red or green, chopped (you can use up leftover pepper strips from crudite tray if you have them)
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
1 bay leaf, fresh or dried
1.5 pounds cooked turkey meat, light and dark meat, diced (I used ground turkey for mine)
1.5 tablespoons chili powder (a palmful)
1.5 tablespoons ground cumin (a palmful)
coarse salt
2 cups frozen corn kernals or leftover prepared corn
2 cups prepared chicken stock or broth
2 scallions, white and green, chopped

Heat a deep pot over medium-high heat. Work close to the stove for your chopping. Add EVOO to your pot, about one turn of the pan in a steady stream, then add vegetables as you chop them. Add bay leaf and cook vegetables for five minutes, stirring frequently; reduce the heat if veggies start to stick.

Stir in diced turkey meat and season with chili powder, cumin and cayenne s
auce. Season with a little salt, to taste. Add corn, tomatoes and broth. Combine well and adjust seasonings. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 7-10 minutes. Garnish chili with chopped scallions.





Mini Meatballs (Albondigas)

a revised recipe by Jonny Valiant, In Style Magazine, Feb 2008
(serves 12)
1 medium onion, chopped
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
2 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1/4 cup minced red pepper
2 jabanero peppers
salt and pepper
1/2 teaspoon corriander
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1 pound each ground pork and ground beef sirloin
2 tablespoons dried bread crumbs (I used Whole Foods sandwich bread- it falls apart easily)
1 egg, lightly beaten (in truth, I forgot to add this)

1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F. In food processor, chop onions. Set aside. Next chop jabaneros (I use gloves so I don't kill my eyes later in the day), 1/4 cup cilantro, garlic, and 2 tablespoons olive oil in food processor. Season with salt and pepper. Set sauce aside.

2. In a large skillet, heat remaining oil, onion, and red pepper; cook until tender, about 4 minutes. Stir in salt to taste, corriander, and nutmeg. Remove from heat; cool.

3. Combine ground pork and beef with bread crumbs (about 1 piece of bread), egg, and onion-red-pepper mixture. Form meat mixture into 1" balls. Place on foil-lined baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes or until cooked through. Serve with with G-F pasta or rice. Garnish with extra cilantro from the bunch.


You'll beg for more!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i love it!