Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Pizza Fusion

Despite my ever-expanding, long list of restaurants that have G-F menus or accommodate Celiacs with G-F dishes, I could never find a G-F pizza place. For the wheat-eaters of the world, pizza (good or bad) is eaten approximately ever 2 miles in the metro Atlanta area. The only place I've eaten pizza was on a store-bough crust in my kitchen.

In the search for a G-F pizza restaurant, we came across Pizza Fusion. The Pizza Fusion website (www.pizzafusion.com) boasts a commitment to fresh, organic, and earth-friendly. A few of the things I noted were all organic ingredients, LEED buildings, eco-friendly delivery cars, and their recycled plastic chairs. Their food accommodates everyone, vegan and G-F alike. They discuss this and answered most of my personal FAQ under the "What Separates Us" tab on the website. Conveniently for me, when I discovered Pizza Fusion, their Atlanta location was under construction.

This week, the Monday Night Dinner Crew attended their grand opening. Our waiter was fun and informative. He gave us his "schpeel" about the eco-friendliness of the restaurant, and his "to die for" picks on the menu. The menu was clear and well-laid out. The few pizza toppings that are not G-F were marked with an asterisk. I went with the Seattle, trading out the mozzarella and Parmesan. I skipped apps so I could save room for a brownie.

If waiting for our table full of pizzas, smelling them baking in the kitchen, about killed me, then taking the first bite into the crispy crust of my pie brought me back to life. I was amazed by the crust. It held together seamlessly, was crisp but not over cooked or too dense. The pizza toppings tasted very fresh. When it came time for dessert, I was excited to see a very large helping of chocolate goodness set before me. I expected a fudgier brownie with metallic or fruit-sweetened aftertaste hallmark of other G-F desserts, but found the brownie to by fluffy and the chocolate taste to be flawless. The overall experience was wonderful.

My gluten-eating companions told me they could not taste a difference in the G-F and non-G-F crusts. Their critique was that the olives on the Founder's Pie made the pizza too salty, and that the pies were pricey. (Welcome to a G-F life!) They were all amazed at how good the brownies tasted.

Will I go back? YES! In fact, the first thing I did at on work on Tuesday was tell one of my G-F coworkers he had to check Pizza Fusion out. (I believe he went for dinner right after work.)

1 comment:

c. simpkins said...

liv liv!
i want to go with you!