Monday, January 26, 2009

Chicken Soup for the Burnt Soul

The burns are better today, but they are in such an annoying place. Despite the gauze/giant bandaids, my scrub pants still create some friction when I walk. And I'm exhausted. I guess that's what happens when you burn 2% of your body. I'm so happy I only had to work for 4 hours today. (Tomorrow and Wednesday will be another set of 12-hour stories.) I just don't feel like myself.

I decided chicken soup would help revitalize my being. I looked up some recipes for chicken soup, but most of them required a whole chicken. Now, really. I am so not into moving, so there is no way I am going to cook anything involving a whole bird. The recipe below is what I came up with.


Easy Chicken Soup


10 whole black peppercorns
2 sprigs flat-leaf parsley, plus more roughly chopped for garnish
1 sprig thyme
1 dried bay leaf
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 onion, cut into 1/2-inch dice
1 leek, white and light-green parts, thinly sliced and washed well
8 cups homemade or low-sodium canned chicken stock
1 whole skinless and boneless chicken breast
3 carrots, cut into 1/2-inch dice
2 stalks celery, cut into 1/2-inch dice
3/4 cup long-grain rice (optional)

1. Make "bouquet garni"... or bundle the peppercorns, parsley, thyme, and bay leaf in a cooking sachet or cheesecloth secured with kitchen twine.
Start the rice, if you are adding it.

2. Heat butter in a small stockpot over medium-high heat. Add the onion and leek, cooking them for about 5-7 minutes or just before they become soft and translucent. Add the carrots and celery, and cook for another 5 or so minutes more.

3. Add stock and spice sachet, and chicken. Bring the mixture to a simmer and poach the chicken, uncovered, until it is cooked all the way through (about 15 minutes).


3.5 If you are adding rice, add it at the end, so it doesn't bloat and soak up all of your soupy goodness.

4. Serve and enjoy... maybe add a piece of G-F toast with butter on the side

No comments: