Monday, January 12, 2009

The Counter


I grew up in Duluth- what is now John's Creek. I used to think about how neat it would be to live in the city and have everything trendy at my disposal. Apparently the suburbs have upped the anty. Besides good shopping, North Point (Roswell/Alpharetta) can boast about having the best burger experience in Atlanta.

Burgers become a gluten-free staple when you are new to G-F. Almost every restaurant has a pile of meat they can turn into a simple G-F meal (although you still may have to settle for salad instead of fries). Now that I am a mature G-F eater, I have been seeking a more tasty, sophisticated version of the burger.

Outside, The Counter looks like a bank. Inside, it has a modern diner feel. I enjoyed picking out the flavors of my burger on their sectioned check-off menu. I chose a 1/3 pound burger in a bowl, on a bed of mixed greens, with a thick coating of herb goat cheese spread, pineapple, scallions, red onion, and hard boiled eggs. I eighty-sixed the sauce. I did not order any fried sides, because they are cooked in soybean oil. (Nick's serving of sweet potato fries was big enough for both of us.) To top off the extensive choices, the meat is certified humane. For the non-G-F folks, The Counter has a beer menu. For the rest of us, there is also a wine menu and a Woodchuck pear cider available.

When it was served, I thought I'd died and gone to heaven. The bowl was big enough to have some greens leftover in the bottom and me being completely stuffed. I highly recommend a trip out to Roswell for this burger experience. This may not only be the best burger in Atlanta, but a burger restaurant with endless flavor opportunities.

PS - If you want to check out their website, http://www.thecounterburger.com/ you can also see their allergen information on the link to the menu.

1 comment:

Apples and Butter said...

The Counter is in Atlanta now! I had no idea it has grown that much. The first one was here in LA. They're so good! Glad you're enjoying them too!