Sunday, January 25, 2009

40 Degrees of Winter Grilling

I'm not sure where I'd rate this weekend. It started out a little rocky. Nick and I went to MF Sushi bar to relive our first date for our 6:30pm reservations. (It will officially be a year tomorrow.) He ordered a beer, I ordered a hot green tea to take the chill off. My green tea was incredibly hot. I went to touch the cup, and did the insta hand recall. At some point in yanking my hand away, I tipped the cup enough to spill the tea on my lap. Everything happened in slow motion after that. I was in the bathroom, putting cold layers of paper towels on my burned lap. Rinse, repeat, cry and sit on the floor in between. I emerged from the bathroom and told Nick we had to leave. Now.

Nick, of course, saved the night. We stopped at Kroger for frozen corn. He coxed me through my tears, and got us home despite the sudden onset of transmission problems in his car. Once I was settled, went to the store to pick up food. I am not sure how he did it, but Nick managed to invent a way of fixing an incredible steak on the stove with onions and a side of steamed rice. (I hope he remembers the recipe later. It was simply amazing.)

The results this morning were a patch of blistery burn on each thigh and another area which I prefer not to reveal on my g-rated blog. Today was a slower, more enjoyable day for the two of us, once Nick attempted to get his car looked at. We took a late-afternoon nap, and grilled outside. (I cut up a cucumber for an appetizer.) I made a sweet and sour sauce for dipping the chicken, green/red pepper, onion, and pineapple skewers in. The sauce recipe is from the book The Gluten-Free Gourmet Gourmet Cooks Fast and Healthy.

Sweet and Sour Sauce
3/4 cup water
2 tablespoons cornstarch
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
3 tablespoons ketchup
2/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon GF soy sauce (optional- I omitted this)

Place all ingredients in a small saucepan and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and use immediately or store, when cool, in a jar in the refrigerator. Makes about 1 1/4 cups.

2 comments:

LSteenblik said...

ow ow ow. i hope you feel better.

for some reason, lavender oil really helps with burns. especially immediately after. it's too late for that now, but for future reference maybe it will help.

you should dilute the oil though with cold water, as putting oil on a burn without diluting is pretty bad too.

it's kept me from getting blisters in the past. maybe it will help in the future.

Livalicious said...

It awful (still). Lavender oil makes sense, but adding anything besides cold water to a burn will give it more stuff (besides your skin) to burn. Dilution is good. I'll keep in mind for next time, but I sincerely hope I never have to do this again!!