Sunday, March 22, 2009

Ginger Chicken Noodle Bowl

When I first was diagnosed with Celiac Disease, I had no idea how to put foods I found in my refrigerator together to make something palatable. One day I "invented" fried rice- peas, rice, leftover chicken, some odds and ends to make a sauce, and whallah! I thought it was the best thing in the world. Fried rice was easy. It was tasty. I went back to see Bernadette, my CD food guru, and handed her my food diary. Page after page she found entries with "Dinner: _____ (insert country name) fried rice." (By this point, I had "invented" Italian fried rice, South American fried rice, Caribbean fried rice, Chinese fried rice, Japanese fried rice, and Inidan fried rice. I was a genius.) While Bernadette was excited that I'd figured out how to cook something, she now spent her session explaining why diversifying your daily intake of nutrients was healthier.

Now that I'm "all grown up," sometimes I still get into a cycle of inspiration foods. The purpose of this blog is to publish simple, healthy recipes. Right now pasta is a simple, delicious food that can be served 1,000 different ways. So here's to healthy carb-containing recipes, and here's to my former love, fried rice.

Ginger Chicken Noodle Bowl*
2 Tablespoons very finely chopped scallion
1 1/2 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
3 garlic cloves, minced
3 teaspoons sesame oil
1/8 teaspoon sea salt
2 skinless, boneless chicken breasts (about 1 lb)
2 ounces Pad Thai-style rice noodles
1/2 cup chopped carrot
1/2 teaspoon finely shredded lime peel
1 tablespoon lime juice
1-2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
2 tablespoons peanuts, coarsely chopped

1. Heat your oven broiler while you are prepping your ingredients. Start a saucepan of boiling water for your noodles.

2. In a prep bowl, mix the scallion, ginger, garlic, 1 teaspoon of oil, and salt. Coat the chicken with the mixture, on both sides. Place the chicken on a broiler-safe pan and cook about 4-5 inches away from the heat for 12 to 15 minutes (until the chicken is cooked). When they are finished, thinly slice the chicken breasts and set aside.

3. While the chicken is cooking, cook the noodles until they are tender. Drain. Rinse with cold water. Drain again. Snip noodles into short lengths.

4. Combine the lime peel, lime juice, and remaining oil in a medium-sized bowl. Add the noodles, cilantro, and chicken. Toss together. Serve, garnishing with peanuts.
*Inspired by a recipe in Fitness Magazine

No comments: