Monday, April 13, 2009

Eye Surgery

Over a month ago, I signed myself up a Friday morning SBK procedure (like LASIK) with Dr. Woolfson (http://www.woolfsoneye.com/). So on Thursday, the barkers and I packed up my Fit and headed for my boyfriend's house to camp out for my long weekend of vision correction surgery. My boyfriend happens to live 5 minutes from Dr. Woolfson's office headquarters, and volunteered to be "my person" for the surgery.

To say thank you, I cooked Nick dinner on Thursday night- his favorite "comfort" food of pork chops, rice, and applesauce. I warmed up Imagine brand's creamy broccoli soup on the stove for the "veggie" portion of the meal, adding fresh broccoli florets for an added veggie bonus. If you haven't tried Imagine's soups (http://www.imaginefoods.com/), you should. They are quite tasty, especially for work-week meals and good food in a pinch.

Friday we spent most of the day at Dr. Woolfson's. Since my eyes are so small, Dr. Woolfson had trouble getting the little suction cups placed over my eyes. After 3 tries, lots of deep breathing, and Nick holding my hand, we got the suction cups placed, and eyes lazered. Dr. Woolfson is a great surgeon with a comforting bedside manner, making the discomforts of surgery bareable. After the post-op proceedings, Nick and I went home. Following my post-op instructions, I took my happy sleepy pills, ate some lunch, taped on my eye protectors, and was happily off to sleep.

Nick cooked us a late dinner, since we ate a very late lunch. He woke me up to a delicious surf and turf- flank steak cooked in malbec with peppers and onions with a side of shrimp. I have no idea how exactly he went about cooking it, but I hope he remembers and cooks it again. I enjoyed every bite of my dinner in bed before drifting back off to never-neverland.

When I woke up on Saturday, my eyes were quite puffy. I have red spots on the whites of my eyes (bruising) from the suction pressure, reminiscent of vampire eyes. Over the weekend, I had an hourly drop schedule. Now it's tapering down. Today is my first day sans protective eyewear. I see halos around traffic lights at night and have a little dry eye, side effects which may subside over the next few weeks as my eyes heal. Seeing 20/20 definitely makes up for the weekend of eye drops and sleep. I donated my 3 sets of frames on my way out the door of Dr. Woolfson's (post-24-hour follow-up), and tossed that last set of contacts this morning. I am thrilled that I won't have to look back on planning life around being able to see.

No comments: