Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Hummus Egg-Salad Sandwich


We have plants to meet friends at one of the picnic areas of Stone Mountain, hike up the mountain side, grill out, and watch the laser show. I’m freshly home from yoga, running around and tidying up my loft before friends meet here when it dawns on me that I should eat lunch. I open my refrigerator and realize I only bought food to grill out. I pull out the mostly-eaten jar of hummus, the carton of eggs, basil, lettuce, and my beloved mayonnaise. Things remaining in my refrigerator: PB&J, soda, OJ, grapefruit juice, dill, and parsley. I boil 3 eggs- 2 for now and one for later for egg salad and run off to clean the bathroom. I feel inventive.

Hummus Egg-Salad Sandwich
Serves 1, with a few extra bites.

2 hard boiled eggs
1 tablespoon hummus (I used Athenos garlic hummus)
1 teaspoon mayonnaise
1 lettuce leaf
Basil leaves
Salt and pepper to taste
1-2 pieces of GF bread (depending on your preference for open-faced or closed sandwiches)

Peel the shell off the egg. Fillet your egg into salad-sized pieces. Add hummus and mayonnaise, salt, and pepper. Mix it up. Place lettuce and basil leaves on base of sandwich bread. Add egg salad. Enjoy!

No comments: