Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Breakfast Thoughts


One of my friends, Kristy, lives in a subdivision called Seven Hills. Seven Hills puts on a 5k every fall to raise money for the local schools. Last year I made their 5k my first ever. It was so cold that morning that I could see my breath. I know many many people in northern places run in colder weather than Georgia has all year long, but I am neither a natural-born runner nor a lover of the cold. Even so, I ran, I saw, I conquered.

This year I agreed to cheer on the runners and make breakfast. There is always a small group of us 5k-ers and their spouses eating a smorgasbord of things, like casseroles, eggs, biscuits, pancakes, mimosas. Usually I just eat whatever and omit the biscuits, but this time I was thinking of making some biscuits to go along with breakfast. I used to love the way glutenous canned biscuits flake into layers. I'm thinking GF biscuits won't quite do the peelable layers. I have a bag of Bob's mix, and some Bisquick. The Bob's has been lingering in my pantry, so I think I'll conquer it first.

Outside of 5k breakfast, I keep coming to the same things for pre-work breakfast and "second breakfast." Pre-work breakfast usually occurs at about 5:30am, and is something like 1/2 and english muffin with a topping or a bowl of cereal. Second breakfast occurs at work around 9:30-10:00am and usually consists of a little yogurt and cereal. I think it's time to change it up. Maybe I'll bring back the pumpkin parfait in lieu of fall. Otherwise, I need to find something low in fat and super easy. Any ideas? Let me know.

No comments: