Monday, October 11, 2010

A Domestic Day

Today was a domestic day. I accomplished a laundry list of things I needed to do around the house, but had been procrastinating. Okay, I'll admit, laundry, dishes, painting, ironing, hike in the woods, organizing, grocery shopping and picking up really do not provide a lot of meat for a blog entry. If you can picture me in running shorts and a t-shirt dancing around the house to hits by everyone from Frank Sinatra (yes, you can foxtrot with a vacuum) to Britney Spears (yes, shaking your derriere on a step stool is dangerous), I guess at least I might get a smirk out of you, oh reader of mine.

I did do some fun things, outside of my am hike with the barkers. While I was homemaking, I made a darn good piece of Boston Butt for pulled pork sandwiches. I also had a few hours of bonding time with my adorable 3 month old buddy, Matty B. Matt giggled as I pulled the perfectly smoked pork out of the smoker, and got rocked to sleep as it cooled.

Southern Delight
For dinner, we ate sweet potatoes, green beans, and pulled pork sandwiches. Tossing the potatoes into the oven just before you pull out the pork butt from the smoker gives them 1 hour to cook, and you time to do whatever while your pork butt cools/gets pulled. Remember to season your sweet potatoes with butter (it makes everything better!), cinnamon, and a drizzle of honey. The cinnamon on the potatoes will complement the pork really well. Never be afraid of seasoning pork with cinnamon- they make a great combination!

Pulled Pork

Pork Butt (to be cooked in a smoker)
Fight the Fat Foodie's Awesome Rub
BBQ sauce (see a sample list of GF BBQ sauces here.)

1. Massage your pork butt with the spice rub the night before you intend to smoke the pork, making sure to cover the whole butt. Keep the pork in a sealed container (or wrapped in plastic) in the refrigerator over night.

2. Cook your pork butt for about 4 hours (1-1.5hrs per pound) in the smoker. Use a meat thermometer to measure the temperature.

3. The pork butt is done when it reaches 175-180 degrees Fahrenheit. Once it reaches this temperature, remove the butt from the smoker and allow to rest for 45 minutes.

4. Pull the pork using 2 forks, being sure to remove any major lumps of fat from the pork. Serve, optionally with BBQ sauce.

No comments: