Monday, January 31, 2011

Engagement Party



Saturday we hosted our friends to celebrate our engagement. The party was wonderful. I love entertaining, having a home full of people I love. To make a relationship succeed through the good and bad, I think you have to have a support system of friends and family. It is a blessing to have wonderful friends in our lives, in our life together. I look forward to our next get-together, whether it be a large group or one-on-one.

We wanted to keep this party simple, so we ordered a Boar's Head meat tray from Publix. On the side, I fixed spinach dip, guac, and goat cheese/sun-dried tomato crostini. Kristy brought her signature pizza dip (oh so so SO good) and Melissa brought a black bean dip that received rave reviews. On the sweet side, we had a m&m bowl, chocolate covered pretzels (not GF), cupcakes, and some chocolate-pretzel-pecan creations by Kristin that also got tons of complements. So much for keeping it simple. If you come to our house, we will feed you. Well.

The spinach dip is a bit funny- it takes an obscene amount of spinach to make a small dip. I used a Martha Stewart recipe for it (the recipe is here). As for the goat cheese crostini, I used rice crackers instead of bread. The crackers did get a bit soggy under the cheese, but nobody seemed to mind. The crostini disappeared quickly. Next time I might try to cut some GF bread into squares. Read on for the easiest recipe ever.

Goat Cheese and Sun Dried Tomato "Crostini"
Ingredients
Goat Cheese log
Sun Dried Tomatoes
GF Base - rice crackers, bread, etc.

Take your cold goat cheese, and mold a dab of it onto the base. I found it much easier to use my (clean) fingers than to use a spreading knife. The pressure from the knife broke a lot of crackers and left flakes, while my fingers made a smooth finish. Next, add the sun dried tomato pieces. Enjoy!

I served mine on a shallow chip tray (I ran out of big flat serving things). To even the surface I used candle-scaping rocks, but you could also use dried beans or peas.

No comments: