Saturday, January 1, 2011

Rice Nog

My shopping trip in Whole Foods was moving in a blur a few weeks ago. I just tossed things in my cart that I needed, hoping to be in and out. Fast. Time froze for a second in the Rice Milk Aisle when I came across the Rice Nog. I tilted my head to the right and thought "Do I like egg nog?" I realized the liking was immaterial. I was being presented with an opportunity to try a completely absurd GF beverage. The better question was "Why wouldn't I love this?" I tossed it in the cart.

The rice nog sat for a few weeks on my kitchen counter. It was going to be disgusting, I just knew it. I refuse to drink rice milk by the glass, so why would anyone want a glass of holiday flavored rice milk? (Well they wouldn't, naturally.) When we packed up some GF goodness to tote down to Florida for Christmas, I stuck my Rice Nog in the bag. I thought it would be entertaining to make everyone try it and see their reactions to its strange flavor.

While in Florida, I had forgotten about my liquid novelty. The day after Christmas morning, I remembered it just in time for breakfast. I made Nick's parents and grandmother try it with me. Much to my dismay, the Rice Nog was awesome. It had a creamy texture uncannily like milk, with hints of holiday flavors (cinnamon, nutmeg). Not only was it great by the glass, the Rice Nog was also amazing in coffee. The joke was on me.

I am heart broken that Whole Foods was out of the Rice Nog last week. I really want more! I might have to see if I can make some.


No comments: